Friday, June 6, 2008

Another blog??

Yes, it's true... I've started another one! I'm hoping the independence of this one from Myspace and Facebook will be its saving grace.

The idea behind this one, though, is that it will keep family and friends updated on my goings-on and be a happy haven for lots of fun pictures I take. My life seems to get more and more exciting, and I'm left with less and less time to tell my loved ones about it. Ideally, this will let those who care about me come and get an idea of what I've been up to at their leisure. Also, Steve and I have been talking a lot about keeping a journal, and this seems like as good a time as any to start recording the exciting events that make up my life.

This summer in particular looks pretty promising. Semester 6 (of 8... we're nearing the end of this chapter, folks) finished two weeks ago and I've already been keeping myself busy. I'm currently taking my last theory/composition class that deals with styles and techniques of composers in the 20th and 21st centuries. The summer version of this class offers not only a much shorter version than its semester counterpart (it's only three weeks long), but the professor is much more reasonable and enjoyable than the other guy, and she brings food every day. Plus, a few of my friends are taking it too, making it all the more fun. I'm currently working on a 12-tone piece which practically writes itself.

As soon as this class is through, Steve and I leave along with our CSULB choir buddies for a two-week tour of Italy! We get to sing private concerts in the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, and some other great venues throughout the country. I've been to Europe before, but not Italy, so I'm really excited. Steve's never been to Europe and I can't wait to share this experience with him.

After Italy, I'm working as a counselor for the second year in a row at Arrowbear Music Camp. I get to work with high school singers and jazz musicians, and it's a very special experience for me since I attended this camp in high school! I'm counseling with some dear friends from CSULB, and my high school choir director. I love the experience there; being surrounded by music, friends, and nature is something I truly look forward to every year.

Then, Steve's family is taking me with them on their trip to San Francisco! I haven't been since fifth grade, and all I really remember from that trip is Alcatraz and smelly seals at pier whatever-it-is. Needless to say, I'm very excited and can't wait.

That will pretty much bring summer to a close before I start back at work on campus in late July. I'll be sure to write more detailed accounts of all that along the way.

No comments: