Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Well, so much for blogging over Summer!

Things got moving so quickly that I rarely had time to document anything, aside from taking pictures (which you can see on facebook!).

So, okay, Fall!

It's Fall; it's my favorite time of year! I'm completely overwhelmed with school, choir, professional singing, work, and grad school applications and I can't believe I'm still walking upright.

This weekend is the finale concert of the 75th annual Bach Festival in Los Angeles, and I'm singing the Mass in B minor with a professional choir and orchestra. It's a remarkable work, but I can't wait for it to be over (and to get the check...). Rehearsals have been grueling and I didn't really anticipate this much of a commitment. They have, however, given me an opportunity to see and smooch Steven a couple times a week, which has made the whole experience worthwhile.

I'm putting together my graduate school applications to UCLA and UC Santa Barbara for a Master's in Ethnomusicology, and Southwestern Law School. My plan had been to apply to more law schools, but a recent series of events and considerations have helped me to change my mind. I've really grown accustomed to the academic lifestyle, and I could really see myself permanently teaching, researching, learning, and publishing. It might not land me a house in Malibu and a Mercedes in the driveway, but those things become less and less important to me every day. Also, I'm young, and the thought of being stuck in a corporate law firm at 23 makes me want to barf.

I'm hoping to score some gleaming letters of recommendation from some of my more high-profile professors, and working on a personal statement that leaves the admissions representatives no choice but to admit me (and grant me some scholarships).

So that's that, I suppose. For now, anyway.

No comments: